Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas

Years ago, my aunt was working for a small town newspaper and informed me that they wanted a poem to print for Christmas and urged me to submit something. 

I chose to use the opportunity to hone my writing, to see if I could write something very traditional, like you might see on a Christmas card. So I penned this piece and they did in fact publish it. 

Those of you who have read even a few of my other works know that this is not typical of my writing style. Still, the sentiment is there. I do love Christmas and what it's supposed to be. 

So now, I offer this verse to all of you. May your holiday celebrations (whatever your traditions are) be full of joy and love. 

Christmas

T'was ne'er the thought 
Of Saint Nick’s arrival
With stockings full
Of shiny toys
Nor in the least
The Christmas feast
That filled my heart
With season’s joy

Nay, my brother
I tell you true
'Tis not the tree
With lights aglow
I shiver not 
At romantic thoughts
Of kisses sweet
Under mistletoe

Though the sacred rites
Hold much weight
Though they may contrive
A special glee
Without contrite
I may tell you right
They hold something 
Else for me

Indeed I say and
Mark me well
The warmth of hearts
Is enough for me
For the essence in rhyme
Of Christmas time
Is embraced within 
The family

Forget not your brother
Who holds less fortune
Though he be a stranger
Give 'till it hurts
I tell you then, and
Only then, my friend
Shall you receive
The joy this holiday asserts




Become a patron of my work at:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/christmas-7549972

No comments:

Post a Comment